Tuesday 13 March 2012

The meaty, milky light at the end of the tunnel...


Sam:
I can’t be sure, but I’m fairly certain that there isn’t a football ground in the United Kingdom that caters for us Veegs. (Answers on a postcard if you know of any that do. Word of warning: neither meat pie or Bovril are suitable.)
I went to the football at the weekend and had to go dry and hungry for a good few hours as I struggled in vein to find alternatives for the decidedly non-Vegan hot dogs, burgers and beer that were on offer. I even had to meet my friend outside my ‘lucky burger stand’ at the stadium. Now that was a real test.
But, once again, I managed to pass with flying colours. What’s more, after the game, in one of the rowdier pubs on London’s Kings Road, I discovered that Jaegerbombs are Veegs, in between glugging down celebratory pints of Heineken. I had a great day and wasn’t hampered at all.
And I suppose that’s the point of this post. This undertaking hasn’t been a doddle, but it hasn’t been a struggle or a pain in any way either. If anything, with only a few days left, there is a tinge of sadness in the air as we can see the meaty, milky light at the end of the tunnel. And I don’t think either of us would have believed that that would be anything like the sentiment at this stage of the game.
There’s a lot of ideas and meals and places I will re-visit once the month is done with. An example of which is the delightful Aloka restaurant / cafe in Brighton.
It’s a buffet joint where you pile on the food and weigh your plate on a special set of scales that produces a ticket with a price on it. Far from the cheapest grub in the world, and I wasn’t totally sure what I was eating, but it was really quite quaint and definitely delicious. It even went some way towards re-kindling my faith in tofu.
It’s the only time I have really gone out and found a specifically Vegan lunch solution, as opposed to just eating the stuff I can get away with. And it was rewarding. Places like Aloka sadly seem alien to a lot of us - if by doing this I can show even a handful of people that that’s not the case, then i’m happy...

No comments:

Post a Comment